Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wish I could be.. "Ad-free"

At work the other day I received one of many junk "visit my site" "buy my product" emails and this one caught my eye because the leading paragraph offered an "ad-free" webhosting account from a business called AIT. What does that even mean? It's a webhost that allows businesses or individuals to set up a "free website for life at their own domain name to enhance the visibility of its core products and services."

My favorite part is "to enhance the visibility" of products... which if read backwards then relays to me that "they" the people, the writer, the public or just we know that advertisements (especially on websites) detract from the core product.

Now this might just be me finding what I want to in what I read, but really I just get annoyed sometimes when I get on a website and ads are crawling all over the screen, creeping up on the sides and once in a while popping up and no matter where I click on it trying to escape it'll bring me to another page. So, what I'm saying, is this AIT business sounds like they've got the right idea, I just don't know how it'll work. Good luck.

Anyways, you might be wondering, how does AIT intend to break even then?

“A lot of criticism simply misses that the “free” business model isn’t just about giving stuff away and hoping for a miracle. It’s about leveraging the free stuff to sell complementary goods in a way that benefits both buyer and seller,” said Sean McCoy, Senior VP of Sales and Marketing at AIT. McCoy pointed out that their new, free customers like it enough to purchase additional services from the web host and domain registrar.

The VP for Sales and Marketing of AIT said they launched this free webhost because of the bad economy.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting business model. "Free" always captures the attention.

    ReplyDelete